AT-KABUL: Afghan security forces in a counter attack have repulsed a massive Taliban offensive in surrounding areas of the southern Kandahar province and pushed the militants back, an official said Tuesday.
The militants suffered heavy casualties in the fighting, who had retreated several areas in the Arghistan district after several hours of intense gun battle.
Provincial governor’s spokesman Samim Khpolwak confirmed the attack and saying the Taliban insurgents suffered heavy casualties in the clash.
He did not provide further information regarding the casualties of insurgents.
According to Khpolwak, a policeman also lost his life during the clash but other sources are saying that three policemen were killed.
The Taliban militants group has no commented regarding the incident.
This comes as scores of civilians were killed during a gun battle between the Afghan forces and the Taliban insurgents in Nish district last week.
Local security officials said, over 20 civilians were killed along with at least 29 militants during the 4-day clash in the district.
Provincial police spokesman Zia Durani said the Taliban insurgents were forced to leave the district after around 100 additional forces were deployed to the area.