KABUL: In the wake of a surge in ISIS-K bloody attacks in recent weeks, the Taliban have launched a crackdown on Daesh hideouts in Kandahar province.
The operation against Daesh terror group started around midnight in at least four districts of Kandahar province and continued through Monday morning, said AFP quoting Taliban provincial police chief Abdul Ghafar Mohammadi.
“So far, four Daesh fighters have been killed and 10 arrested … one of them blew himself up inside a house,” he said.
It is said at least three civilians were killed in the operation.
This is as a magnetic bomb went off in western Kabul on Monday morning in which at least three people were wounded in Koti Sangi neighborhood.
In the three months since the Taliban came to power, Daesh-K has been active in Jalalabad, Kunduz, Kandahar and Kabul.
Last month the group claimed responsibility for a suicide bomb attack on a Shiite mosque in Kandahar that killed at least 60 people and injured scores more. That attack came a week after another deadly mosque blast claimed by Daesh-K in northern Kunduz province killed more than 60 people.
The group on Sunday claimed responsibility for a bomb that destroyed a minibus in Kabul at the weekend killing a well-known local journalist and up to two others. Daesh-K boasted it had killed or injured what they called “20 Shiite apostates” in the incident.