AT-KABUL: The Taliban group has once again rejected to hold talks with the US official on Afghan peace set for today (Wednesday), just after flinching to take part in anther peace talks in Jeddah of Saudi Arabia.
The Afghan Taliban said they had called off peace talks with U.S. officials in Qatar this week due to an “agenda disagreement”, especially over the involvement of Afghan officials as well as a possible ceasefire and prisoner exchange.
Talks had been planned for two days starting Wednesday in Qatar, senior Taliban members earlier told Reuters. The Taliban had rejected requests from regional powers to allow Afghan officials to take part in the discussion.
The Taliban called off a meeting with U.S. officials in Saudi Arabia earlier this week because of Riyadh’s insistence on bringing the Western-backed Afghan government to the table.
Former Afghan Interior Minister Omar Daudzai, a senior adviser to Afghan President Ashraf Ghani is in Pakistan for 4-day visit, expecting to meet high-level officials to induce Pakistan us its leverage on Taliban group for a face-to-face talks with the Afghan government.
To talk over current situation, and especially peace talks and election, the Chief Executive Abdullah Abdullah held talks with US Ambassador to Kabul, John Bass on Tuesday.
“Had a fruitful discussions on peace efforts, elections and latest political and security developments in Afghanistan,” Abdullah said in his twitter account.