KABUL: Hamdullah Moheb, President Ghani’s National Security Adviser claims that that Taliban’s efforts failed to capture seven provinces.
The insurgent group recently launched large scale offensives on the provinces of Baghlan, Kunduz, Ghazni, Kandahar, Uruzgan, Farah and Helmand.
Moheb said Sunday that the militants are endeavoring to take power by force.
“Taliban believe they can take power through war and this was cleared last week when they attacked on seven provinces to capture them but they failed to reach their goals,” Moheb said.
He said that government forces managed to retake the areas previously under Taliban control with the militants retreating and suffering great casualties.
Acting Defense Minister Yasin Zia said that Taliban offended the provinces of Kandahar, Helmand, Ghazni, Baghlan, Farah and Herat.
He said that the attacks were pushed back by security and defense forces, claiming that some 1,000 militants were killed and wounded.
“We found documents from their dead bodies on the battlefield that identify them the nationals of Pakistan and relating to al-Qaeda terrorist group in Kandahar, Helmand and Farah.”
Meanwhile, government officials say that a senior Pakistani military delegation was planned to come to Kabul, but the details and exact date of the visit was not clear.
Another delegation from Pakistan was in Kabul last month where it met Afghan officials and spoke about the ongoing peace efforts.