KABUL: The government alleges that Taliban militants have carried out 3,800 attacks in the first three months of the current year, while the insurgents have lately begun spring offensive, a wave of attacks annually begins in April or May.
Intelligence Director, Ahmad Zia Seraj said Monday that the militants were trying to misuse the peace deal they signed in February with the United States to intensify attacks.
Taliban were expected to reduce violence based on the deal that allows the United States to pull troops out of Afghanistan after 19 years of battle against the insurgents. Taliban in return were demanded to reduce violence in Afghan cities and cut any relations with international terrorist groups.
“Taliban have carried out 3,800 attacks since they signed the peace agreement with the United States in different parts of the country that indicates a huge increase comparing to their attack in the same period of time last year,” Seraj said, adding that 420 civilians were killed and 906 wounded in these attacks.
He added that intelligence reports show that Taliban did not cut ties with terrorist groups such as al-Qaeda, Lashkar-e-Taiba, Eastern Turkistan and Islamic Movement of Turkmenistan, but the ties were further strengthened.
Taliban want to recruit more forces through having ties with terrorist groups for Afghan war, according to Seraj.
Massoud Andarabi, interior caretaker minister said that Taliban’s spring offensive began two months back and the insurgents could not shirk the responsibility of their attacks.
Army Chief Besmellah Waziri said that the army observed the reduction in violence during the past three months and were in active defensive position.
He said that the army retook offensive based on President Ghani’s order to suppress the insurgents.