KABUL: The Taliban denied reports over agreeing with a ceasefire offer, saying they have not yet made decision in this regard.
The US envoy for Afghan peace, Zalmay Khalilzad at his tenth round of negotiations with Taliban, urged a ceasefire and violence reduction in Afghanistan to pave the ground for intra-Afghan dialogues.
Zabihullah Mujahid, a Taliban spokesman said Sunday that “no decision” was made on whether to agree with the offer.
“As far as I know about a temporary ceasefire, consultations are still going on but have not been finalized,” Mujahid said.
Khalilzad resumed talks with Taliban on December 7 in Qatar after a nearly three-month lull. The latest round of talks focused on ceasefire in Afghanistan, the US military withdrawal and start of intra-Afghan negotiations.
A delegation from the group’s political office in Qatar flew to Pakistan last week to meet their leadership in the city of Quetta.
The trip was called to have aimed consult the Taliban leader Mullah Haibatullah on the US offer of ceasefire.
Taliban have so far refused ceasefire proposals except once that the militants accepted a three-day ceasefire for Eid feast in June 2018.
Meanwhile, the Wall Street Journal reported that Taliban’s leadership in Quetta of Pakistan, held a meeting where it announced agreement with the ceasefire.
The US newspaper has written that the Taliban leadership has agreed on a one week ceasefire.