KABUL: Thousands of families have displaced in different areas particularly in the provinces where battles between government forces and Taliban fighters are going on within the past two weeks, officials confirm.
“5,300 families have fled their homes in the past 15 days alone,” Mohammad Reza Baher, spokesman of the ministry of refugees and repatriation said Monday.
He said that intensifying violence has caused more displacement in the provinces scene of battles.
“The continued insecurity and violence has made obstacles for us in distributing the aids. The aid distribution stopped last week in the provinces of Takhar, Sar-e-Pul, Jowzjan and Kunduz.”
Totally 57,000 families have fled their homes since the beginning of the current Persian Year (March 21), with residents of Nangarhar, Kunduz, Helmand and Kandahar provinces making up 37,000 families, according to the ministry data.
Baher said that aid distribution to the internal displaced people is still going on in some provinces and thousands of them have received the donations.
Taliban, who had begun attacking on government forces in early May, took almost half of the country’s roughly 400 districts. The insurgents recently focused on the provincial capitals and managed to seize the centers of Nimroz, Jowzjan, Sar-e-Pul, Kunduz, Takhar and Samangan since Friday.
However, security officials say that army and police still hold parts of the provinces fell to the militants and efforts are going on to retake the provincial capitals.
Several public and private properties including marketplaces caught fire and burnt during clashes in the provinces of Kunduz, Helmand, Sar-e-Pul and Jowzjan.