KABUL: A truck bombing on Monday has targeted a military compound in southwestern Helmand province that left at least eight Afghan security forces dead and two others received injuries, local officials confirmed.
Omar Zwak, provincial governor’s spokesman, said the attack took place in Nad Ali district on one of the military compounds.
Zwak has not provided information about the security forces’ casualties but a military source talking in condition of anonymity, has said that at least eight security forces have embraced martyrdom and two others wounded in the attack.
No militant groups, including the Taliban has so far claimed responsibility for the attack.
The attack comes at a time, while the US Special Envoy for Afghanistan Reconciliation, Zalmay Khalilzad after a long time pause, is back on his peace mission in Qatar to continue negotiation with the Taliban representatives to find a solution for reduction of violence in Afghanistan. US President Donald Trump has back in early September called off the nearly-done peace deal with the Taliban militants. Albeit, Trump recently has said that US and Taliban are working on an agreement.