Home / Nation / UN vows support to AfPak govts in quake-relief operations

UN vows support to AfPak govts in quake-relief operations

AT Monitoring Desk-KABUL: The UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon said that United Nations agencies were all set to deliver assistance to the governments of Afghanistan and Pakistan in their earthquake relief operations.

“My thoughts are with the people of Afghanistan and Pakistan in the aftermath of the massive and deadliest earthquake, Ban Ki-moon said.

Ban expressed his deepest condolences with the people and the government of Afghanistan, Pakistan and also to everyone affected, particularly who have lost family members and friends in the earthquake.

He wished rapid recovery to those who received injuries in the earthquake in Afghanistan and Pakistan.

When Afghanistan and Pakistan are busy in ascertaining the damages caused by the earthquake, the two have received no assistance from other countries, so far.

Afghanistan and Pakistan have stepped up rescue efforts after at least 335 people were killed when a powerful 7.5-magnitude earthquake jolted Afghanistan, Pakistan, India and Tajikistan. The epicenter of the earthquake was the Juram district of Badakhshan province, a province which is already war-devastated.

In Afghanistan and Pakistan the concerned authorities have been attempting to reach remote mountainous areas to help the affected people.

Moreover, White House Spokesman, Josh Earnest said that the US government has been in touch with the governments of Afghanistan and Pakistan and assured his country’s readiness to provide assistance that may be needed.

Meanwhile, Abdullah Abdullah, the Chief Executive has directed the authorities concerned to deliver emergency aid to the people affected by the massive earthquake. The death toll in Afghanistan has reached 115 whereas according to Pakistan National Disaster Management Authority at least 148 people were killed and 815 received injuries by the earthquake.

+++++++++++

Karzai turns down govt’s offer on budget allocation for his office

AT News Report

KABUL: Former-President Hamid Karzai has turned down the recent decree issued by the Presidential Palace to allocate separate fund for his office.

Recently a decree was leaked to the media where the Presidential Palace had allocated fund for the former president’s office.

Karzai thanked the president but said that due to small and low budget formation, he does not feel it necessary that his office becomes an independent budget unit, Karzai office said in a media statement. The statement adds that Karzai turned down any privileges which he considered were unconstitutional. The statement furthered that Karzai is working in his residency and he doesn’t have any separate office.

It is pertinent to mention that Karzai handed over the Sapidar Palace, the residence that was built for the former president, to the government. The building is currently being used as office for the Chief Executive Officer (CEO).

About admin

Check Also

Karzai condemns casualties in Takhar attack

AT News KABUL: Former President, Hamid Karzai strongly condemned Wednesday attacks in the northeastern province …

Leave a Reply