AT-KABUL: At least 20 insurgents have been killed and several others injured in US airstrikes during a joint clearance operation by Afghan and US forces in Kharwar district of central Logar province, official sources said on Tuesday.
The provincial police chief Brig. Gen. Daud Ahmadi said the operation was launched on Monday evening, in which at least 20 insurgents were killed and several wounded as a result of US airstrikes.
He said the Taliban were traveling in four pickup trucks towards new hideouts when the US forces attacked their vehicles, leaving 20 insurgents killed.
The police chief claimed that the district had been cleared of the insurgents during the joint operation. A huge cache of weapons and explosives had been seized during the offensive, he added.
This comes as the Taliban were flushed out from the Kunduz city, the Taliban insurgents also attempted to capture the Logar as well, but security forces launched offensives and cleared its districts of the Taliban insurgents.
The Taliban insurgents suffered heavy casualties during the offensive. However, the Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid denied the casualties, claiming that seven security personnel were killed and several injured.