KABUL: The United States expresses concerns that their military equipment would be likely seized by Taliban once Washington pulls soldiers out of Afghanistan by September 11.
Brigadier General Matthew Trollinger of the US army, said Saturday that there was no guarantee that Taliban would not seize their arms and equipment.
He said that the US would prevent their arms and equipment from being seized by Taliban until they have soldiers here on the ground.
“We are going to hand some military equipment and vehicles to the Afghan forces to defend their country,” Trollinger said, adding that some of the equipment and vehicles would however be transferred to the United States and the regional countries.
“We will take some of the equipment to America and other places and will destroy those equipment the used equipment or those they are not allowed to hand over to Afghans.
The United States Central Command (Centcom) says that between 13 to 20 per cent of their 2,500 soldiers have left Afghanistan since May 1, the beginning of the US withdrawal after 20 years presence.
The Centcom says that also 115 consignments of military equipment have been taken out of Afghanistan so far, while more than 5,000 equipment were destroyed or to be destroyed.
The United States has so far handed over five large military bases to Afghan forces.