Home / Latest / US is likely to face another 9/11-style attack, says Mike Pompeo

US is likely to face another 9/11-style attack, says Mike Pompeo

AT News

Kabul: Ex-US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo warned Sunday that America is more likely to face another 9/11-type attack following the humiliating US withdrawal from Afghanistan.

Pompeo, who served under former President Donald Trump, blasted Biden over how the US withdrew from the war-torn country, arguing the “debacle” has put the Taliban in “full control” there and made Americans less safe as a result.

“We are more likely to be attacked like New York City was 20 some years ago, we’re more likely to be attacked from [Afghanistan] today than we were just one year ago,” Pompeo told host John Catsimatidis on the “Cats Roundtable” radio show Sunday morning.

Pompeo, who was the director of the CIA before taking over the State Department in 2018, said earlier on WABC 770 AM that the exit humiliated the country and even emboldened Russian President Vladimir Putin to invade Ukraine earlier this year. 

“We are now one year from what everybody saw with their own eyes: Americans left behind, thirteen Americans died and Afghan people clinging to American aircraft as we turned tail and ran out of that country.

“To have had that debacle embarrass our country on the world stage, made us less safe, convinced Putin that he could begin his aggressive conduct in Ukraine,” Pompeo said.

Last August, US forces left Afghanistan after being in the country since 2001. During the withdrawal, 13 US service members were killed by an ISIS-K suicide bomber outside the Kabul airport.

About admin

Check Also

The mission of Qatar’s technical team ended at Kabul Airport

AT Kabul: The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Taliban has announced the end of …