AT Monitoring Desk-Kabul: At least 152 Taliban insurgents were killed and 70 others wounded during operations last month in northeastern Kunduz province, a military official said on Sunday.
Brig. Gen Noorullah Qadiri, the newly appointed commander for the 20th Pamir Zone, told Pajhwok Afghan News the offensives were conducted by security forces the in northeastern zone, particularly in Kunduz, last month.
He added the operations caused huge casualties to the militants, including some of their key members killed and wounded. “Several insurgent hideouts were also destroyed, the commander.”
Qadiri said the security situation in Kunduz was currently satisfactory and plans were being devised to clear more Taliban-controlled areas. He announced a clearing operation would be launched soon in three newly-formed districts.
Residents of Kunduz, who are optimistic about the current security situation in the province, want the government to purge more areas of militants.
Shafiqullah, a resident of Kunduz, said: “The security environment is better, but large areas are still under Taliban’s control; we want the government to clear these areas as well.”
However, Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid denied the rebel casualties and claimed civilians had been killed and wounded and their houses destroyed as a result of air raids by the security forces.