AT-KABUL: Anti-Taliban operation has been continuing infinitely with leaving mass-scale casualties on the part of the extremist group in southern Kandahar province, security officials said Monday.
At least 97 Taliban have been killed in the ongoing operations conducted in Shah Wali Kot district by the Afghan forces along with Resolute Support’s Air Support, official said.
Resolute Support also confirmed the news, saying that “17 roadside bombs were defused, and 80 pounds of homemade explosives were destroyed”.
However, security officials did not provide further details, but it comes as peace talks with the Taliban group is about to make a shape.
Moreover in another anti-Taliban raid three key commanders were among 34 Taliban killed in Almar and Andkhoi districts of the northwestern Faryab province.
A source in the provincial intelligence office told Pajhwok Afghan News 20 Taliban militants had been killed during the air raid. Afghan forces were supported by foreign troops in the Qaragholi locality of Almar on Sunday night.
Moreover, recently the National Security Advisor Hamdullah Mohib and acting Defense Minister Asadullah Khalid in a meeting they discussed preparations for a ‘possible ceasefire’ and other future scenarios.
In a statement issued in that time by NSA office, reported that the two top security officials conferred on various matters, particularly increasing the capabilities of the national defense and security forces and the air force.
They also talked about preparation for ‘a possible ceasefire and other related scenarios’, the statement said, but offered no more details.