AT News Report
KABUL: The Independent Human Rights Commission (HRC) calls the increasing civilian casualties a matter of concern.
It said Saturday that the new year began with civilian casualties, referring to Thursday’s rocket attacks and bombings that killed at least six civilians and wounded more than 25 in the west part of the city Police District 3.
Mousa Mahmoudi, the commission’s chief executive said that the recent attacks in Kabul, Kunduz and Helmand provinces have made them worried, blaming the war parties for not doing what they had promised in the protecting of civilians.
“Just like last year, we had civilian casualties this year too. There is no decision for changing policies and protecting civilians. This is a matter of concern and should be condemned. This causes the increase of violence and civilians will be victims like the past years,” said Mahmoudi.
In an attack that targeted people gathered to celebrate the Farmer’s Day on Saturday in Helmand, three civilians were killed and 31 wounded, according to police.
Separately in the northern Kunduz province, 12 civilians including six women and three children were killed when they came under a US aerial attack Friday night in the Gol Tepa area, provincial council said.
The United Nations Assistance Mission for Afghanistan (UNAMA) said that the 2018 civilian casualties was unprecedented in the past 18 years with around 4,000 dead including 927 women and children.
Taliban had earlier said that protection of civilian lives was important for them.
A spokesman of the interior ministry also says that all police forces were ordered to be careful for civilian lives during operations.