Violence precedes Taliban ceasefire; 5 dead in Ghazni
AT-KABUL: As the days of a historic cease-fire is nearing, the Taliban are not reluctant to stage fatal attacks against civilians and security forces as officials said militants killed five people in a spate of attacks early Tuesday morning, leaving 26 others wounded in southern Ghazni province.
Taliban assailants rammed an explosives-laden military-grade Humvee into a checkpoint in the entrance of Ghazni’s Muqur district at 2:00am, said gubernatorial spokesperson Aref Noori. Some five police personnel lost their lives and two dozen others including the district chief and five security personnel sustained injuries in the bombing, said Noori, the blast was heavy enough that partially destroyed compounds of district and police headquarters.
Three security personnel were reported to have critical wounds and were taken to Kabul for more sophisticated treatments. He confirmed that all other wounded including the district chief who had been hospitalized were discharged from the hospital after regaining their health.
Noori denied clashes ensued after the terrorist attack, and affirmed some firefight occurred in remote areas of the district on Monday and that the situation was under control of Afghan forces.
These attacks coincide with announcement of cease-fire by the Afghan government and the Taliban. Afghan forces have been commanded to cease fighting only against the Taliban militants starting from Tuesday. And Taliban movement has mandated its guerilla fighters to refrain from attacking only Afghan forces during a period of three days coinciding with the end of Ramadan.
AT-KABUL: 11 members of a family were martyred after their car they were traveling in …