Home / Latest Updates / Suicide blast kills 33 people, injures 23 in Khost

Suicide blast kills 33 people, injures 23 in Khost

By Farhad Naibkhel-KABUL: At least 33 people including women and children were killed and 23 others wounded in a suicide car bombing near a US base in Afghanistan’s eastern Khost province.

Mubarez Mohammad Zadran, spokesman for Khost governor office, said that a suicide car bomber blew himself up near a US military base in Karwan Sarai area of the province on Saturday evening, 7:00 pm.  The blast led to killing of 33 people, including six security personnel, three women and 12 children. He added that blast wounded 23 people including 12 security personnel and 11 civilians.

“The wounded people were rushed to a local hospital and those in critical health condition were taken to hospitals in Kabul and Bagram,” he added.

He said that the blast was so powerful that it destroyed four private Toyota cars, four tri-wheelers (Afghan rickshaws) and four motorbikes.

Khost provincial officials strongly condemned the attack and said that perpetrators of the attack were enemies of the people of Afghanistan.

“The blast took place near a security check post of Afghan security forces at the entrance of Camp Chapman,” Khost deputy governor, Wahid Paiman, told Afghanistan Times on Sunday evening.

It is worth mentioning that Camp Chapman was target of a deadly attack against CIA personnel in 2009.

No group, including the Taliban, has claimed the responsibility of the blast so far.

The attack comes at a time that the government held direct peace talks with the Taliban militants in Pakistan recently. The question that remains unanswered for people is that why didn’t these one-day peace talks put end to violence and terrorist attacks in the country.

About admin

Check Also

Taliban must live up to its commitments, says Stoltenberg

AT News KABUL: The Taliban must live up to their commitments, significantly reduce the levels …

Leave a Reply