LASHKARGAH: In order to avoid civilian causalities, military anti-militants operation in southern Helmand province is progressing well but slowly, a senior security official said on Thursday.
Police Chief Nabi Jan Mulakhel told reporters that heavy casualties had been inflicted on militants and several localities were purged of anti-state elements. He said some security forces suffered injuries but civilian escaped unhurt in the ongoing offensive codenamed codename Zulfiqar.
Jan said that the offensive had been planned for long-term; with special security forces had conducted raids on suspected militants’ hideouts in the night. Around 200 mines have been defused so far, he informed.
Meanwhile, Ghulm Farooq Parwani, deputy commander of 215th Maiwand Military Corps, said Zulfiqar operation was underway successfully. He said militant lost the ability to fight security forces back. (PAN)