AT Monitoring Desk-KABUL: Kunduz-Takhar highway has been reopened for traffic after two weeks of conservative closure, a provincial official said on Saturday.
Police chief, Brig. Gen. Mohammad Qasim Jangalbagh, told Pajhwok Afghan News the highway had been cleaned of militants during operations in Dokan Adam, Malarghi and Qushlaq Andarabiha of Khanabad district on Friday.
He added that seven insurgents were killed and several others wounded during clearing operations. Furthermore, he went on say: “The highway is currently open and we have taken special security measures to keep it open. Operations are still underway in parts of Khanabad.”
However, resident Sher Mohammad said the highway was not fully reopened and only security convoys were travelling the route. He asked the government to clear all areas around the highway.
This comes after that Taliban insurgents were received huge casualties in Kunduz fighting. The Afghan National Security and Defense Forces (ANSDF) have inflicted heavy casualties on the Taliban after the militant group launched a series of attacks to take control of Qala-e-Zal and Dasht-e-Archi districts in restive Kunduz province.
However, they (Taliban) captured Khanabad district, but soon recaptured. “Tens of them [Taliban] were killed and wounded,” provincial official said. The Afghan security forces recaptured the control of a strategic Khanabad district from Taliban in northern Kunduz province, provincial official said on Sunday.
“To retake the district which was fallen to the Taliban, a joint operation carried by Afghan National Army and Afghan Special Police Force including security forces from Takhar province, in which the district had retaken from the Taliban,” provincial police spokesman Hejratullah Akbari told Afghanistan Times in that time.
“38 Taliban insurgents were killed and more than 20 others received injuries during attack.”