KABUL: Afghan troops have recaptured Karokh district in western Herat which was attacked by the Taliban, officials said.
Civilian forces deployed assisted the army in the operation to push the Taliban out of the district Friday morning. At least fifteen Taliban militants were killed and 20 of them wounded in the raid, said Fawad Aman, deputy spokesman for Ministry of Defense.
“Karokh has been completely cleared of the Taliban this morning, and 15 of them have been killed,” he said.
The Taliban have been staging violent assaults to take control of territory in Afghanistan since the US began pulling out its last troops.
“Over the past day, fighting had broken out in ten provinces, in which 152 insurgents were killed and 53 others were wounded,” he added.
During this period, Logar, Kunar, Paktia, Ghazni, Kandahar, Balkh, Samangan, Helmand, Nimroz and Kapisa provinces witnessed clashes between the two sides, he added.
Meanwhile, Abdul Sattar Mirzkwal, Afghanistan’s acting interior minister, said on Thursday that 3,500 Taliban had been killed in recent clashes.
Mirzkwal added that the bodies of more than 1,500 of the group’s rebels had been transported out of Afghanistan.