Home / Latest Updates / 79 insurgents killed, Taliban commander arrested

79 insurgents killed, Taliban commander arrested

AT-KABUL: At least seventy-nine Taliban insurgents were killed and twenty-five others wounded in different operations lunched by the Afghan security forces across the county within past 24 hours, security officials said on Sunday

In a press release issued here, the Ministry of Defense, said that the Afghan National Army in collaboration with Afghan National Police and National Directorate of Security operatives  had conducted a joint operations against insurgents in different district of Nangarhar, Parwan, Ghazni, Paktia, Paktika, Khost, Kandahar, Uruzgan, Farah, Badghis, Takhar, Baghlan, Kunduz, Sar-i-Pul, Jowzjan, and Helmand provinces, in which 79 Taliban insurgents including a commander were killed and 25others injured.

Unfortunately, ten soldiers were also killed during offensive, the statement added.

Separately, National Directorate of Security (NDS) on Saturday said that its operatives detained a key Taliban leader who was responsible for suicide attacks in northern Faryab province.

In a statement, NDS said that the detained insurgents has been identified as Qari Ahmad Khalid S/O Mohammad Alim, and detained from Maimana city, the provincial capital.

The Taliban leader was involved in different terrorist activities in the province. Moreover, intelligence operatives also managed to successfully arrestthe suspect and thwarted an attack using25kg Improvised Explosive Device (IED), in Mimana city.

Taliban insurgents frequently use Improvised Explosive Device (IED) to target the security forces, but the ordinary civilians are often targeted in such attacks.

This comes as the United Nations Assistance Mission in Afghanistan (UNAMA) released the latest civilian casualty’s report late last month which stated at least 3,726 civilians were killed or wounded between January and June of this year.

The UN mission said the civilian casualties in the country has reached to a record number since counting began in 2009, with 5,166 civilians recorded killed or maimed in just the first six months of this year, of whom almost one-third were children.

The total civilian casualty figure recorded by the UN between 1 January 2009 and 30 June 2016 has risen to 63,934, including 22,941 deaths and 40,993 injured. According to the UN mission, the anti-government elements remain responsible for 60 percent of the civilian casualties with ground engagements continuing to cause the highest number of civilian casualties, followed by complex and suicide attacks and improved explosive devices (IEDs).

About admin

Check Also

Isolated Insurgent Attacks Reported Amid Partial Truce

All warring factions have agreed to a weeklong reduction in violence, marking the second lull …

Leave a Reply