Election unlikely to be held in five Nangarhar districts
AT-KABUL: The October 20 parliamentary election is unlikely to be held in at least five districts of Nangarhar province due to high security threats, provincial security officials said.
Provincial Police Chief, Gholam Sanayee Stanekzai said Monday that despite security forces’ hard work to provide security of the polling stations, high security threat was still dominant in some districts.
Districts of Sherzad, Hesarak, Achin, Nazian and Khogyani were under high threats, while Mohmand Dara, Ghani Khil and Bati Kot districts were facing middle threats that would still affect the election, Stanekzai added.
394 centers were open for people to register for voting in Nangarhar, according to provincial election commission office. “Some polling stations in the districts of Hesarak and Sherzad and some other areas are facing high security threat and we could not take electoral materials vial land there,” said head of election’s provincial office, Ahmad Dawood Seddiqzada.
Sobhanollah and Hamidollah, Nangarhar residents say they would defy any threats and attacks to take part in the election. 818,000 people including 266,000 women have registered to vote in Nangarhar, according to the independent election commission data.
Candidates from the province particularly female ones say they are concerned of security threats while campaigning.
Last month, a suicide attacker targeted a candidate’s rally in the Kama district, killing 14 including the candidate Naser Khan and injured another 41 people.
AT News KABUL: Former Jihadi leader, Ismail Khan said that the Afghans would welcome a …