AT Monitoring Desk-KABUL: In the series of the security forces large-scale military operation codenamed Zulfiqar Operation, the Afghan troops have extended the operation to Khanshin district to clear the area of militants and maintain law-and-order there, said officials on Sunday.
The deputy of Helmand police chief, Pacha Gul Bakhtiyar, told reporters in Lashkargah city that around six Pakistani nationals were held with a number of documents during the operation in Khanshin. “The operation is going on well in compare with past operations in the southern districts of the province. No civilian has been killed or injured so far,” he said.
According to him, the security forces were supported by Afghan Air Force in the operation that kicked off in Sangin district around one week back.
He said the provincial capital Lashkargah, Nad Ali, Marja and Nawa districts have been cleared of militants as a result of the operation. He added that militants have suffered heavy losses in Operation Zulfiqar. “Dozens of landmines were defused in Sangin. Around 159 militants were killed and 93 others wounded in the district. Two civilians and a dozen policemen were injured so far,” he added.
He also said that two policemen and 22 insurgents, most of them commanders, were killed during the operation in a number of Sangin’s areas.
He said other areas would be soon cleared and security posts would be established.
The Taliban militants have not commented regarding the report yet.